Friday, April 3, 2015

"Unless I book a Job I am totally available to audition" The cost of flaking out. 4/3/2015

Dear Actor,


When replying to an invitation to audition, probably not a good idea to include the words (paraphrased) "unless I get booked for a job, I'm totally available." That makes casting totally not want to reserve you a spot and instead give it to someone who will at least initially humor us to believe that they will make the intention for a time reservation and a priority to show up.


Sincerely,

The other side
I can't make this stuff up... this actor beat out 1000 other actors to secure an audition spot and then their response had the director not want to see this actor.
Yes, it's a little bit different to say those words after the audition has completed, if this is an answer to availability questions and scheduling, especially if the shooting dates aren't locked in stone versus pre-announced, versus as an answer trying to get booked for the audition.
I've been a part of teams casting both union and non union productions for people and have seen the good the bad, the really bad and the ugly.

 I was speaking with another indie film director who had a 30% actor audition  attendance record. 
 Let's say for example that for every hour, 10 slots were open and of the 10 actors that were invited, only 3 showed up. Imagine it costs $20 per hour to book the studio and it's roughly 5 minutes per audition.(depending on what is needed the cost can vary, but we'll use $20)  3 actors x 5 minutes = 15 minutes total productive time auditioning actors.
Multiply that by 8 (total of 8 hours) and the producers have spent $160 and only seen 24 actors in 2 hours (as opposed to 80 actors in 8 hours) and sat around for 6 hours waiting for no shows. (This example not the same as an open cattle call, first come first served. This is where the actors have been pre-screened from their headshots and reels and recommendations from sources, and specifically called in for specific audition times).
Actors, agents, and managers please put yourself in the producers' shoes. That wasted $120 could have gone to festival submissions, lens and equipment rentals, lighting, insurance, gas for transportation, van rentals, food for the cast and crew... OR been used to see actors who do want to audition and do want to work. Even if you get an audition space for free, that's 6 hours that could have been used on script rewrites or negotiations or living a life.

Fortunately, when I have my casting hat on, I've had a pretty good record with audition attendance. My actor audition attendance record is roughly 82%. (Not too bad, but still not 100%) I used to work at a corporate job where we had to confirm our job applicants multiple times in very specific ways. Because I learned that from that corporate job, I confirm the hell out of actors or their agents. 

Every slot that is not filled because of a no show is another actor the production does not get to see, and as an actor, an opportunity thrown away by another actor. I take that very seriously and remember agents, managers and actors who don't. It's productions' money and if you want your completed footage and credit, it makes it easier for them to finish the project by using all their resources effectively.


Most of success is about being there, about showing up and then delivering. Always do your best to make your auditions and give a heads up if you can't make things. Production, casting, directors...We're human. We know things come up and emergencies happen, but not all of us are psychic and if you as an actor or agent don't say anything to casting before or after a cancellation or no show, we may form assumptions one way or the other which may influence our asking you back in the future.


I'm amazed at actors , both non-union and union, some celebrities as well, who have applied for breakdowns, who are invited, who confirm and never show up to a casting. Then, there is no follow-up explanation, let alone any apology... and then the next time you cast or help cast a new production, they apply again and they think you don't remember that they flaked out on you once, or unfortunately, several times before.

 Every time you flake out, you deny someone else a shot at that timeslot, you make yourself, your agent and/or manager look bad, you show no consideration for the people giving you the opportunity and you are building your reputation, an unreliable BAD reputation.


There is a saying, 'you don't build a reputation on what you are going to do, only on what you've done." It's very easy for us to project how you would behave on set with cast and crew, where every second counts, if you flake on your audition. Do what you say you are going to do. It's not about what you start, it's about what you finish.


Also, you never know who else may be in the room. I've had actors come in who were cast for my stuff and subsequently for other people's stuff because there was more than one producer or director in the room with different productions in the pipeline. Please set yourself up to win and don't shoot yourself in the foot. Show up.


Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent
 
My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  people can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.



imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/


 © 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved




No comments:

Post a Comment