Monday, March 30, 2015

"Lead with speed, follow with power" 3/30/15 Never underestimate the power of good notes.



While I was going through thousands of actors' head shots and resume submissions online for a series I was casting principals the other day, I was  reminded of the martial arts phrase (I had trained in Tekkenryu "iron fist" Jujutsu) "Lead with speed, follow with power."

Dear Actor,

    Never underestimate the power of good notes. Like the martial arts saying goes, "Lead with speed, follow with power." It helps if your agent and manager who are submitting you for projects, are also making good notes for you also. Make sure you are all on the same page about how you want to present yourself.

Sincerely,
The other side


 Other than great head shots (PLURAL) to catch attention, it would be cool if more actors understood the value of the notes they leave the casting directors and noting quickly and BRIEFLY their best highlights, selling points, or credits. 

Sometimes that makes the biggest difference in if the casting director will click on a listing. 
As mentioned in a prior post, good, right to the point reels make a ton of difference too, but the saying "Lead with speed, follow with power."applies to both reels and notes. 

Lead with your highlights, then back it up with your credits. Sometimes that will make up for a less than stellar head shot. Good notes can make a difference and give you an edge.

I won't use specific actors examples of good notes, but examples, depending on the listing, might include
-proficient at this at that
-fluent in this or that
-career highlights include this or that
-recently did this show or worked with that director
-heck, even if you have a following on social media

Being pleasant, sincerely interested in the project and not desperate helps too. A casting director may be initially looking at your submission and profiles, but the director or executive producer may also be looking.

As an actor, I totally understand the thinking some fellow actors may have of "Well, they're just going to look at my picture and then choose what fits", which is true to a point, but that's just the starting point, not the saving grace... There have been some actors that I looked at that I had no idea that they were SERIOUSLY credited actors with major roles on major TV and film and major followings who I might have skipped over because they or their managers/agents that clicked on the castings didn't mention anything. A few submissions I skipped over initially, who I re-clicked, ended up in consideration on a few of my projects and a few I've helped cast.

Break a leg and have a great pilot season.

Be well,
Vincent


My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  people can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.



imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries

facebook.com/changelingstheseries

facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/
 © 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment