Monday, April 13, 2015

Dear Producer, There will never be a 'perfect' time to be successful. Go figure it out. Go produce.

 Dear producer,

 There will never be a 'perfect' time to be successful. That being said, you are a captain of your production. Don't send your cast and crew out there with a sinking ship with no map, no supplies and no hope. Go figure it out. Go produce.

Sincerely,
The other side

There are a few proverbs I would like to relate.

There is an ancient Chinese food fortune cookie saying: "Man on top of mountain with mouth open will wait a long time before roast duck will fly into it." (Fly into his mouth, not him or the mountain)

Life is too short to not go after what it is you really want in life. You can't be passive and expect to get everything in life by doing nothing or going after things half-heartedly.

At a networking event, I was introduced by the host to two people, who looked to be in their mid twenties, who wanted to get into producing. They asked my advice and experience on directing and producing. They told me they wanted to get something done but kept telling me about perceived obstacles and personal shortcomings. Eventually, I had enough and asked them...

"Are you over 18?",  to which they said yes.
"Are you over 21?" I asked. Again, the reply was yes.

I said, "If you are over 18, you are supposed to be an adult... then you are responsible and capable enough to figure out what to do. Don't look to your parents or anyone else to solve your situations. If you want to get something done in your life, go figure it out, what needs to be done, and go do it."

Look, I can relate to the questions and that feeling they had. Things don't always work out, you don't always win. I've been there many times... where you can feel uncertain and unsure. Things can seem insurmountable, where you feel alone and don't think things will be successful. However, when I have been successful in life, especially in producing, writing, directing, acting, making music, teaching or doing martial arts, I found that something made me press on in spite of that uncertainty. Just keep going. Keep taking ground. Do what you can with what you've got in the time you have left, because you don't know how much you have left. Press on.

I've heard that many times people will crash into a telephone pole in a wide open field because, as they lost control of the car, they were telling themselves "Don't crash into the pole"

Instead of that kind of though popping into your mind, you have to visualize the end goal as if it were already successful and excellently completed and keep your focus on that, especially if you are producing and if you are directing a cast and crew and most vehemently when times get tough and things don't go to plan. If something happens, you have to think your way to a solution and sometimes very quickly. As my aikido sensei repeatedly told me "You get into a situation, YOU gotta find your way out of it"

One time, we were on set and needed to warm up the special adhesive with a microwave for the sets of false teeth. The only problem was the space we had obtained had no microwave and it didn't look like there was any way to heat things. One thing we did have was spearmint gum in craft services and my contingency budget. I asked the Assistant Director to go get some and get it to the SFX makeup people. Problem solved. (I learned that trick from watching a documentary on horror legend Lon Chaney Jr.)

The point is, If you look for problems and reasons why you can't do something, you will keep finding them. If you look for the optimal end game, you will have a better chance of reaching those goals.

That being said... if you are going to do something, do it right and do well. Chart your course. Plan your work and work your plan. Especially if you are going to be directing cast and crew. Each production is different with different variables and resources. There is knowledge and experience you can glean from many sources, those change too. Make sure you plan out what you need to do meticulously.

People don't want to be a train with a desperate conductor. They will be looking to you to lead them to success.When I was younger, a mentor  told me that "Things are created 3 times. Once in your mind, the second on paper and the third in reality."

Begin with the end in mind.

Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent



 

My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment