Thursday, April 9, 2015

Dear actor, "Throw the book at em... character determines destiny" 4/9/15


Dear Actor,

"Character determines Destiny" The script is the starting point of the performance, not the end of it. We're looking for the character, your unique quirky take on the character, and your character... not just a canned performance or a reading of the lines. 

Sincerely,
The other side

    

I had recently completed a casting and curiously noted that a lot of people weren't off book for this round of auditions. As an actor, I know that we don't get things till last second or don't always have time and need to look at things very last minute. Also, dialogue can vary and be tricky from project to project.
However, what was interesting to see was that some actors who got the sides the same day were completely off book and more relaxed than those who had the sides for multiple days and some who were seriously credited actors and had vast TV, stage and film experience, still on book, but more to the point, kept looking at their scripts at in my opinion, inopportune beats that broke up the flow of the reading and scene. I know it happens but I was just wondering why it was that way this time.
Having been on both sides of the table, I can understand that you have to go with your instincts a lot of the time. However, the more you know the material, the less concerned you are with the words, the more you can be attentive to creating your subtext of the words, reacting and responding in your own unique actor way... creating your performance and giving us your distinct version of the character.

 As a director, I'm looking for a semblance of the character immediately, and sometimes I cast because someone walks in and starts talking and something clicks either immediately or after a few seconds or minutes. They ARE that character, not someone trying to be a character to please the production and fumbling with the lines.
Sometimes we want to see if you are creative, collaborative and take suggestions and direction well, and will give you context and scenarios on the day. The dialogue may be appear to be serious or funny, but be prepared to switch if it was meant to be played in another variation.

There are a lot of factors on who you finally get to collaborate with, being prepared helps a lot. To paraphrase another actor/producer friend of mine, "Your job as an actor is: can you deliver the line on the day? (5, 10, 20, 30, 40 times) And guess what, the audition IS the day. That's what they hire and pay you for" Can you consistently deliver the line and the performance that is needed take after take after take?

Also, actors, please note that your glasses can be a distraction if you aren't aware that you are fiddling with them or taking them off or putting them on trying to enhance a dramatic moment. The camera wants to see your face and your eyes and not your hands blocking them fiddling with a pair of glasses or if your eyes are always looking down to read lines or keeping track of the reader's dialogue making sure you come back in correctly. Paraphrasing the actor Michael Caine, "there is a lot of power in stillness" and paraphrasing director Irvin Kershner "there is nothing more interesting than the landscape of a human face"
I got a lot more "advertisement mail" this time meaning a lot of actors clipped invitations to their plays or shows to their resumes, and invited me directly to see them perform, like right before they auditioned. Not sure if I like that trend.
I mean, thanks for inviting me to see you perform, but you're here to try out for this role right now, and I may never have met you before, and right now is what the production team is concerned with. It seems a little premature to invite me, if I've never seen you act live before. Other casting directors may like getting invites on the day, but personally I'm not really a fan of it. When we are auditioning you just focus on creating a great character. As the saying goes "Character determines destiny"

Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent

My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/
 © 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment