Monday, April 20, 2015

"Lean back, lean back" Desperate times, desperate actors 4/20/15



Dear actor, 

Please don't persistently hound the production about whether you've been cast or if production has made any decisions, especially when a listing says shooting dates TBD, or if the dates are set for that matter. There may be more things going on than you know about while production is setting the table. 

Sincerely, 
The other side

As an actor, I know the feeling of wanting to know if I was cast for something. However, I learned very quickly from fellow actor friends and my own experience, not to ask, or if I did ask,  not to be pushy, ask many times, or to be desperate because I need a gig. Many times actors want to announce that they are a part of a project and share it right away, which is understandable. But as a producer, sometimes productions don't want things and specific details out there until the time is right and it makes sense FOR THE PRODUCTION, the adverts, the publicity, and other factors.

 As a musician, I learned never to assume that things were set unless it was in writing, and even then not to assume things were solid until things were over and done. I don't believe it until I'm on the plane, on the stage, gig is done, I got paid and am back home.  As an actor, go in there and do your thing at the audition and then just let it go, never assume you were or WEREN'T cast.

 As a producer and director, I know there are productions who won't say anything to you if you have or have not been cast yet. That is just a given. Some productions will tell you if you have not been cast via email, but never assume they will. However, don't bad mouth the production because their timetable is not yours. Because:

A) sometimes you were on a list of contenders and may not have been the top choice, but something happens and the lead actor has to bow out. Guess what? Your name is back in discussion for the project, but if you are pouting or disrespecting the cast, crew, producer, director or casting director on social media or word of mouth (word travels quickly back to people) they may be disinclined to consider you. You might have been the runner up but since you griped and complained, you now are no longer in the running.

B) You may be auditioning for the same people in the future for different productions. They may not want to have to deal with the same drama again if they can help it.

C) Schedules change and time is valuable, both yours and everyone else's. There may be more things going on than you know about while production is setting the table for you the potential actor. 

There are more courteous ways go around asking rather than getting in the casting director's face and saying point blank "So when are we working together?" 

Especially if: 
A) you've just met us and we don't even know you even on a social basis so it is very presumptuous and pushy that you assume that level of familiarity. (this has actually happened to me on a few occasions, an the person never auditioned for me in the first place, the person just knew I help produce and cast) EVEN and ESPECIALLY if you do know us and are friends, don't get in our faces.

 B) It kinda ticks us off getting multiple messages from you assuming that you have or haven't been cast. I once had a actor send me 12 messages inquiring if they were cast and in contention in the span of an hour and a half across phone, email, text, and Facebook. The person had just auditioned.

No one wants to be on a train with a desperate conductor. 










There's that old song from Terror Squad and Fat Joe called "Lean Back". Be prepared, do your audition to the best of your efforts, and let the importance of the outcome go. If you do contact the casting director later on, be friendly, don't inundate us with messages, and don't assume the outcome one way or the other.
You may have been in the running, but because you are desperate or apologetic for your audition, when you don't even know if we liked it or not, you may be taken out of the running. I know how it feels, I've been there too. Just "lean back" and relax and in the mean time, keep getting out there and get on with your life. Lean back... lean back...


Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent



 
My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment