Saturday, November 19, 2016

Dear Actor, video auditions can be your friend... really they can.... insights from a recent casting session

Dear Actor, 
Video auditions can be your friend... really they can.... Use them well and put yourself in a position to succeed.

Sincerely, 
The other side
I recently went through another round of castings....here are some insights. Some of the insights may repeat, but it they are points that are repeated. Enjoy, hope they help.
-As an actor, if you are interested in multiple roles, unless production states"don't double submit", please submit to each character you'd be interested in possibly being. It may cause us to have double submissions, but sometimes, we eliminate people from one role and forget about them, even if we are on the lookout for other roles.... if you are there again in a different character, we may delete you or I may go, oh yeah, we forgot to switch you over.

-If you aren't available or don't like the terms in the breakdown, and aren't up front about it and it comes out 2 or 3 rounds later, then why the heck are you submitting? If you submit and make a note that you don't do deferred and are just reaching out if there is a possibility for alternatives... it wastes your time and production's time if later on you say you don't do this term or that when it is clearly up front and don't make an initial reach. Maybe, you can ask, but frankly sometimes it just pisses us off if you aren't direct up front. Will they offer you something later? If you don't work for deferred contracts EVER, that is fine, but why did you submit to it if the breakdown says it is a deferred situation? 
-Your reputation does NOT precede you. Unless you are a really well known actor, we may not know you."Lead with speed, follow with power." List your accomplishments or what you are known for, even if you have no credits, tell us something, what you are good at, if you have a social media following... anything reasonable or related to the casting that makes you distinct or right for the role.
-If you have a video audition, at least make an attempt to say your lines before making stuff up. read the context of the scene and don't just fumble through the audition at a breakfast table while having breakfast when the scene takes place somewhere else and the characters aren't eating breakfast. (an actor actually did this)
-Don't make commentary about the material you are auditioning on in your audition tape. If you want to leave us a text note, that actually may separate you, but if you hate or love the material or if you have a comment about a character, a line or a situation in the script..... don't say your commentary in the middle of your audition video (the same actor who did this, was eating breakfast while he was auditioning... the role did not require eating while delivering lines)

-THIS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES....Dear agent and manager, please make a note of that for your career and for your clients. everyone has a brain-fart occasionally, but that is just "side reading audition 101", common practice.Your character's full name will not be always used. Last names are common on sides. you read the sides under the last name. example Vincent Veloso.... you'd read the sides under VELOSO. 
-You have to not take it personally if you are not selected, don't get a callback or aren't cast. You are picked out of several hundred submissions, for one role in particular it was close to 850. You may not have gotten the part this time, but you could be in mind for the next one or have to come in to replace an actor. 
-If you are friends with the casting director or know them, being courteous is nice, expecting or demanding a favor from us is not nice. I have to be objective as possible and see who fits the role and the character and think about the production values with my team.
-You may not get the role for many reasons..... because: the timbre of your voice (to high, to low for the character, too similar to a lead character) , your look (may not be what the director wants, you may be too similar in appearance to the lead  or to another character already cast) the way you deliver the lines or characterization doesn't match the vision of the producer, director, writer.

-Never take it personally.  Other actors may be more well known, qualified and bring something to the table like a social media following or access to a location/equipment or specialized knowledge, Never take it personally.

-I personally dislike fishing around in your reel to ACTUALLY SEE YOU TALK. Edit it down to you talking and I see you talking NOW. GET TO THE POINT

-If you need to show another actor for a setup or a payoff dialogue, fine, but it's good if they aren't too similar looking to you, because by submission 300 I might get confused after clicking and have to remind myself who I am supposed to be watching. I may  have liked the other character better and then realized, oh, she looks exactly like the other actress, I mixed them up. Pass. 

-I sure as hell am not watching an hour long movie to find you. (Yes, people put up unedited full length movies as their reel, happens more often than you may think)
NOTES TO CASTING MATTER!

-If we allow it, we use notes to know what you've accomplished, what you were in, what skills, props or wardrobe you have access to. And sometimes a non generic quick greeting is nice. GET TO THE POINT.  You or your representation leaving a quick note will automatically separate you from literally 100 other actors vying for your role.


-If you have a reel and it isn't on the casting site but on your website, TELL ME, otherwise I assume you DON'T have a reel.
GET TO THE POINT. 
-If there is something about the actor, I may dig into the resume or the casting site to see if there is a personal site with a reel. Sometimes people don't mention they have a website or a reel!!!!! It boggles the mind.
-I see one or two types emotions being hammered again and again in people's clips in their reels. If you have the ability, try some kind of variety even in "dramatic" and "comedic" roles. Life and feelings are seldom one kind of flavor or emotion all the time. For example: Try saying "I love you but I hate you" in a line delivery. Or "I miss you though you've hurt me and I don't know if I want to keep having a relationship with you" through a line as simple as "How was your day?"
-It's your choices and delivery that separate you from other actors who look like you, have more credits and better head shots and reels.

-I have to admit, I skip ahead the reel to see if you can do any other types of emotions and have any variety. If I have to get through 4000+ submissions, which I recently did, I want to know can you do more than these basic emotions and deliveries, and can you do any deliveries that merge/blend more than one emotion together?
-angry
-crier
-goofball
-ethnic
-serious
-brooding
-psycho
-concerned parent
-rebel
-quirk
-flirt

-Yes, it is good to know your types, and strengths, but when every clip you have is the same emotion I go, OK, this actor is always this type of actor (example: a crier, a screamer, a victim, mr serious, mr zany, mr tries too hard, the best friend, the psycho, the nerd, the action guy, the stalker,) sometimes if I see only one dimension, I don't see anything else, I'm moving on. Try going from one emotion into another or having them at the same time as you deliver your performance.
-Have more than one picture....  in different looks, not the same headshot with a slightly wider smile or a different head tilt.
-We're not just casting for this production, but for possible future ones and we do make note of certain actors who are unique and have good reels, resumes, notes, and photos, who are generally interesting, genial and pleasant.
-If you have to decline, it is nice if you humor us at least, that you are thankful that you were selected against the odds. Please be gracious and thank us for the opportunity, it is appreciated. One case was 500 to 1. Another was 700 to 1.
- Again, if there is a term like deferred payment contract, and you don't do deferred payment contracts "EVER, EVER,EVER", then don't submit and then get on your high horse if you are asked to audition and say that you don't do deferred payment contracts. you just wasted your time and ours.

-We may, and often do, remember you in the future. I do remember those who are rude, and especially those who flaked out on me in the past. Those who didn't show up at auditions, those who spoke badly about the production, those who had plenty of time to just put yourself on tape and didn't, those who flaked out on confirmed auditions.

-I also remember the ones that I go, wow, that is a good actor/actress, that person is probably a really cool person on set.
-Contrary to belief, I want to add you to the list of possible 
candidates, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but when you have me jump through soooo many hoops of having to see you speak on your reel, if you have one, I may just have to pass. Have to open up another window to get to your reel on your site.
-One actor had 100 reels.... I am not joking.... and the speed reel was in the 50s. I'll pass. I sure as hell am not going to sit or fish through an hour and 20 minute movie to see if I can see you speak and act. If you can't edit or have someone edit for you AT LEAST TELL ME THE TIME MARKER YOU ARE AT WHERE YOU SPEAK AND ACT

and then after all that... if your reels are passcode protected and you don't note the passcode.... or they are not sharable past youtube.... or have expired.... I have to go to the next submission.... because again, I and my team have 4000+ to get through.
-Having a good reader can help your performance, a bad reader can distract both you and the viewer. I want to see you as the character but if your reader is terrible delivering the lines, honestly, I would rather just see you deliver your lines alone . One of the reasons to have readers is to see your reaction to them. again, Much if not most of acting is reacting.

-As an actor, there are tremendous odds against you. You or your agent or manager submits you for a part. and often you are in a pool of 400-1000 applicants per role, you make the prelim are called to audition either live or via skype or a self tape from 10 -50 applicants.

-You are invited to a face to face audition or invited and given the opportunity to tape from home, cell phone quality, you can take make the best version you can..... and still you will have people  and you flake out with no explanation, won't attend a confirmed audition, wont' send in a tape. won't take a shot... without an explanation. People remember that. Productions remember that. I remember that.

-I had a very prominent actor with many credits and clips say he wasn't comfortable with the material and had to decline. I profoundly respect that. Be honest with us. If you are not comfortable with the material that is fine, we respect you for taking a stand if you feel the content is against a code of yours.

TIP: CHECK YOUR SUBMISSION DEADLINES! If you can't read the time correctly, or have questions about it don't ask.... you may have just shot yourself in the foot and robbed yourself of an opportunity. You just beat out 300 other actors, you are ready and willing to self tape and you don't get it in on time? Are you lazy or foolish? 12AM is not 12PM. 
-have a good reader if you are going to use a reader... if you have the option of not having a reader and you are reading against yourself, I would really suggest you don't appear on screen as you reading other characters. It comes across as Smiegle from lord of the rings.
-You have to trust people to do what they say they are going to do. But there is a reason you have a backup quarterback in a game. you have first string, second string and even third string players. As a producer... you job is to get the thing done.... teams get things done. Everyone has to show up.
-FOLLOW THE WRITTEN DIRECTIONS! we want and even need to see certain things from you in casting
-I like receiving feedback and adjustments as an actor, but realize, production is going through dozens of video submissions and thousands of actor submissions, and sometimes we aren't thinking about feedback. we have a deadline and have to make casting recommendations asap. Ask and ye shall receive.... most of the time.. and sometimes it takes a bit to get back to you.
-You may be a great asset with credits and reel clips and bells and whistles, accolades but you don't know who else is submitting auditions.

If this name actor knew some of the other actors who were submitting, your couple of under 5s or featured parts or even costar or star roles may not measure up.

-There is a reason you are invited. The minute you presume you are the best and biggest fish submitting for the role, you are in trouble, because you suggest to the team that you will put yourself above everyone else in the room on the set on the day. And you are presuming that we aren't in contact with A listers.

-I'm a fan of improvising and making things your own, but you have to give at least one version of the dialogue as it is written.

WGA writers like to hear their words and there are reasons words and references are written into scripts the way they are (foreshadowing, inuendo, subtext, flashback, etc) don't just gloss over it and improvise because you don't know the script well yet.

 I usually give actors 3 to 4 days because I know we are all busy but at least look over the thing. Self tapes are great because you can check how your performance was and if you did the dialogue accurately. As an actor I try to aim for 100 to 97 Percent accuracy in words on a self tape.

If you screw up on an audition submission time, you can try to get in contact to get your submission in. It says a lot about you as an actor and as a professional if you keep going despite your own screw up and shows youhave determinations, grace and ambition. Many times productions will be lenient(trust me,we ALL know what it feels like to mess up or confuse a deadline), but not always.... sometimes you get ONE shot. That's it.
12am means 12 am. 12pm means 12pm.  If the deadline is 12am, THAT SHOULD ALSO BE CLEAR

 But again, there are many other actors who follow the directions get their stuff in on time and don't hound the production for immediate feedback. We're busy trying to put the thing together you actors can actually act in the thing.

Here's an example:
SELF TAPE NUMBERS FROM one casting source
1/4 ROLE 1
0/3 ROLE 2
6/12. 3 decline   ROLE 3
13/41 8 decline  ROLE 4
3/15 3 decline ROLE5
4/12  1 decline ROLE 6
2/13 2 decline ROLE7
2/4 1 decline ROLE 8
4/8 1 decline ROLE  9
1/2 ROLE 10

ADJUSTED #s 36/105 = 34%
which is abysmal. Self taping is your friend both as an actor and as a producer. As an actor, you can retake yourself. send in your best version. you don't get feedback right away and can't make adjustments, but hey, that happens in the business.
As a producer, I don't have to book the room, schedule and reconfirm appointments.
Those that have an interest in your project will send something.
When I send out requests for self tape auditions. I will give clear instructions as I can. I usually give the actors several days, because I know as an actor, I am busy and can't always get to it right away... but in the business, sometimes you have to put something on tape with less that 12 hours, less than 2 hours on occasion.

I say it's a good idea to use a reader if possible, because acting is reacting to what is being said and done to you, and I also know that we don't always have people to audition with. If the breakdown says "use a reader if possible" then chances are, I JUST WANT TO SEE YOUR TAKE ON THE WORDS AND THE ACTIONS! 
Your reel gives me a context... but for other people's works, other people's words, and yes other people's directions... but I want to know what YOUR version is and what your starting point is for the project being cast. 

If you've auditioned for me in the past, I may not have to see a tape. but I may want to see your take on the character, which is why I'd like to see you say the lines and act the part.

 As an actor I will probably never tell another actor to act this way or that way, but as a director a director I can ask for an adjustment. I may tell you to speed up/slow down, louder/softer. meaner/kinder and any other emotion or to emphasize something. but I want to SEE AND HEAR your initial approach with no influence from me. We'll build and/or develop a character together, but the actors are so much the characters I NEED TO SEE YOUR WAY FIRST.

Honestly, today with cell phones, PC/MAC cameras,  there is no reason you can't send something in, especially if the breakdown says 'cell phone quality is fine'
You are an actor, being able to self tape is a tool that others who are vying for the same part are capable of and not afraid of. if you don't figure that part out, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Probably a good idea to at least get a rudimentary understanding of editing, because, it helps you as an actor understand what editors would be looking for in performances and if you'll be in or cut out of footage.


The obvious choice is not usually distinctive and your own distinctiveness is what separates you from everyone else who has similar look to you and has more equal or less experience and training.
-Wear a different color than the background you are taping against. Unless asked to do so, probably not a good idea to wear black against a black background, white against a white background or blue against a blue background or similar color against similar color background.

Honestly, as an actor, sometimes I'd rather send a self tape than go get ready, go commute, spend gas, tolls, subway or bus fare, sit in a room and hand in a resume, and they are going to put you on tape anyway. They may give you a quick adjustment, true, but a lot of times, they won't.
As an actor, you can send in your best version. even if you use siri or a recording of your own voice or just say your own lines, I'd rather do that.
Actors do monologues, we use our imaginations to see and hear other characters talk to us. you can do that in your self tape.
at the end of the day, I understand that people get sick, things come up, people screw up on the deadlines.... we're all human... but if something is important to you you will find the time. and every shot can be a very important opportunity in your career.

If you can't make a deadline or missed it, it can help if you reach out to see if you can still submit or to apologize. Better to politely decline in advance if you know you just won't or can't send in a tape.
Last episode I took 4 days to cast with a traditional in person audition. $120 per day. With gas, tolls and parking that's $500+ to look at actors all day. I had an 86% attendance.  This round I saved myself  $500 and found out who had a desire to work on the project. I didn't ask for much from the self tapers, it does make a difference.

Be well,
Vincent


My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2016 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment