Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Dear background extra. if you are not the director, don't do the director's job. 4/28/16

Dear background extra.

Please don't tell the director or camera operator to call action or tell the principal actor what to do when he/she is acting, even MOS. That is the director's job, not yours. You may only see one camera but it doesn't mean there aren't others or that the frame isn't catching something. You don't know what is on or off frame. Never assume the principal actor is not at least somewhat knowledgeable about what they are doing or have a reason why they are doing something specific


Sincerely,
The other side

It has been a while since I'd last blogged. I'd been acting, writing. and getting reading to head to Cannes with my series Changelings. But I did want to relate an anecdote on not overstepping your bounds on a set, I had acted in a film recently as a principal actor.

One day, before my monologue, we're doing a long 3 minute scene. multiple cameras going, cycling the shot in series. We're on the MOS side cycling our actions, while my fellow principal actors are doing their lines on the far side. He starts complaini
ng, to the effect of are we even rolling? 'when are they going to cut. We should stop.' I reply, We keep going until the director (or production) calls cut. He rolls his eyes and gave me a slightly snide retort.

I ask him point blank "Are you on production?" ( He replies "Well, I'm on this production" I go "But are you on the production team?" (If he was, I would take his words into consideration, maybe he is running something or was given responsibility or authority) He goes no. ask him "Are you principal actor?" He says "I'm featured today" I repeat, "ARE YOU A PRINCIPAL ACTOR?" (if he was a fellow principal actor, he may have known something I wasn't aware of and I would take his ideas into consideration) He says no.

I say something like "Why I am following you?" (why would I stop doing my action in the middle of a take if not directed by the director or the production team to stop, unless there was an imminent safely issue? Actors, principal or BG, take direction from the director or the production team who have authority.)

He literally shouts out loud "CAN WE GET THIS GUY OUTTA HERE!?" and storms out of the room. I have never seen that kind of behavior from a background actor or frankly a principal actor on any set I've been on, TV, Film or New Media, commercial or print sets.

Production enters and goes I don't know what happened but you don't stop until the director calls cut.

Please don't bring up BG and principal, today we are all actors here and quoting Oliveir there are no small parts.

I totally agree with that and I said, I take direction from the director and the production.

To me:

1) I asked the BG if he was production to clarify his authority, so if he was, I'd follow blocking or directions -he wasn't

2) I asked if he was a principal because maybe he knew something I didn't and would confer with him as a fellow principal actor for the scene. -He wasn't

3) From a safety standpoint, in footage, continuity and personal safety, I prefer to know from those with the authority about what is happening and take their direction as warranted.

I let things go , but I knew I personally handled the confrontation to the best of my professional and personal ability. I was vindicated later when other principal actors and crew confided in me that he had been doing that with everyone and overstepping his bounds. A fellow principal said to me that he was 'irascable, giving advice that was flat out wrong, and frankly an a-hole.'

and not like it really matters, but he was non union.

I started out as non union, worked BG, featured and principal roles... ultimately it's really about respect and knowing your responsibilities and obligations on a film shoot based on your role.

Another principal came up to me agreeing with me and said ( paraphrased) 'The proof is in the reality, look at where he is and what he is doing vs the cast and crew have done. Don't cast your pearls before swine. You do your thing.'

break a leg

Be well,
Vincent


My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2016 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment