Thursday, April 5, 2018

​Top ten kinda useless notes to leave on a submission for the casting director that by themselves alone don't really bring up your chances to be selected to come audition



Dear actor, agent, manager, producer, director.... from the other side (new blog post up.... been a while)

Taking off my casting director hat for a second... After reviewing 5000+ submissions and counting on one casting breakdown and another 3600+ and counting on another here are my...

​Top ten kinda useless notes to leave on a submission for the casting director that, by themselves alone, don't really bring up your chances to be selected to come audition. These are literally the only things they left. One or two words. I've been guilty of doing this as an actor myself so, these are just my observations and opinions. Not meant to be mean spirited at all, and not directed at any particular agency or person, just an FYI.

10) "​Thanks" You're welcome, but where are all the other SPECIFIC things that the production and casting director asked for? for example: related training, TV/film Credits, experience, highlights of note, etc.

​9) "versatile actor/actress" Okay.... and?

8) "Strong actress/actor" Agents/managers are notoriously also guilty of using this, but when they don't add anything else it is basically and uninspired unimaginative throwaway line.

7) "I'd love to be a part of this" Thanks. If you submitted for it, we figured you would.

6) "Sorry, I don't do (terms that are explicitly stated in the casting breakdown from the beginning) but if you do x,y, and z I may do it" If this is the FIRST thing you say to us, that is probably not a good way to start any potential negotiations if there is leeway for it and you even make it on the radar.

5) website is ______ ​ This can be helpful especially if you don't have a reel on the casting site but you do have something on your site or youtube. but your casting submission should be self contained and your notes should draw attention to you if your head shot doesn't

4) " available" Thanks. We figured you would be or you wouldn't submit.

3) " I'd love to be considered for this" Thanks. We figured you would be or you wouldn't submit.

2) " thanks for your consideration" This is nice, but if it is the only thing you say, it is the default indistinct "have a nice day" of the millennia.

1) SAYING NOTHING​ (leaving no notes at all , especially when casting directors specifically ask you to list skills related to the role, credits, noteworthy career highlights ), does not enhance your chance to make yourself distinct in the hundreds if not thousands of self or agent submissions.

Do a slate-shot. It is another reel and gives a 5 second intro that puts you on the top of the submission listings on a well known casting site. Have a reel, SOMETHING. The tendency is to go to submissions with reels first and then almost discard all the ones that don't, no matter how good your head-shot is. I'm amazed how many major credited experienced actors or their representatives don't put up a reel/footage on very well used casting sites. Don't assume we're going to go to your website.

Have a good couple of head shots. Selfies are not quite head shots. Leave notes, (highlights, credits, skills, shows your personality within reason) they will be your saving throw that can distinguish you from the 10,000+ actors vying against you. Never assume your representation will leave a note for you when they submit for you. Specifically ask them to, even if it is a cookie cutter, standard one that you design together with them.

Be well,
Vincent

My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances, others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.



imdb.me/vincentveloso
amazon.com/v/changelingstheseries
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2018 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved

"Dear Actor from the other side" Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment