Sunday, August 9, 2015

Collaborations & reasons someone might want work with you or want you to work with you 8/9/15

Dear actor and producer,

Collaborations: Many hands make light work. Making music and movies are often very collaborative endeavors. Even if you are creating everything yourself, eventually you have to work/deal with somebody to get your stuff out there.

Sincerely,
The other side.

Whether you are on cast or crew, any time you potentially lead or are a part of a production, you can keep these points in mind, which may help things run smoother.

There are basically 4 types of relationships
  1. win/win: mutually beneficial
  2. win/lose: I win, you lose in the interaction
  3. lose/win: I lose, you win in the interaction
  4. lose/lose: I lose and you lose in the interaction
Hopefully, you will only work in situations that mutually beneficial and that are win/win.

There are several reasons why someone may want to work with you and it's not always because they are getting paid. Some of the reasons could be:

1. they like/respect you
2. they like the material: script, music, etc.
3. they are getting paid for it
4. they want to gain more experience in something in the production
5. they want to gain a new skill set that the role/position would require (learning a new language/ learning a martial art, etc)

Why might you want to work with someone? (these could also be reasons why someone would hire you) Again, there could be many reasons, but the list could include:

1. skillsets/areas of strength an expertise
2. connections/resources
3. reputation
4. attitude/vibe: how you treat and deal with others
5. track record

You are assembling a mastermind group, a team, you would want to be sure the team has:

Unified vision: People need to know where they are going and what the endgame is. Good script, schedules and clear defined timetables and expectations are all part of communicating that unity of vision.

Diverse skillsets: a team needs people with different strengths to be sure everything is covered. Probably not a good idea to have a basketball team of all centers.

I had seen and interview of Quentin Tarantino where he mentioned he was told by Director Terry Gilliam (paraphrased)that the role of the director is to communicate the vision. Surround yourself with people that know their specialties better than you do.

Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent

My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.


I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.




No comments:

Post a Comment