Monday, August 31, 2015

Whose "sides" are you on? Tips/observations on reading sides 8/31/15

Dear Actor and director,

Whose "sides" are you on?
Sincerely,
The other side
Every actor has good and bad performances on auditions. Over the course of the last few months I've seen them from actors I've auditioned and had them as an actor... Oh yes, I've had really terrible ones and honestly, ones I felt and knew I nailed.
There is always an X Factor whether you will be cast or not. Maybe someone knows you or someone else. Maybe you are brought in as fodder so the casting director will recommend the candidate they really want. Maybe you are too this or not enough that.
Ultimately, you can't concern yourself with the outcome. Once you do your thing, it is really out of your hands. You can however strive to be the most prepared and adaptable candidate when you walk in the room and try to bring your consistency rate of good performances up.
One such challenge I have seen actors do is time limit reading new sides everyday. It's quite useful actually
Sometimes when you go into an audition situation you will be asked read for other characters, or in a worst-case scenario drill, they have other sides that you did not know were required and you may have a few minutes to try to memorize large passages of tricky lines, or have a very last minute audition.
The purpose and activity are much like sight reading for instrumental musicians. The more you do it, the better you become at it and desensitized to the shock of last minute things.
*As an exercise, try learning one set of new sides everyday from TV, films or plays. Give yourself a time limit, say 15 to 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be perfect but it may help you in both your set preparation and for 'emergency' readings*
Music sight reading and reading audition acting sides are very similar. Ultimately, It's all about the execution and also the phrasing/subtext.
Sometimes, in acting situations, you will have explicit stage direction or inflections/tone to emphasize.
Unless it is to put in parentheses are dynamics phrasing/ subtleties, it would be up to your interpretation as an actor.
When you read the piece of music there are dynamics phrasing. There are accent marks and articulations. However, at times, there are not any accent marks... you have nada. That's where your training and your experience as a musician in different genres and styles make a difference.

It's very similar to acting sides. Subjects mean phrasing, slang, multiple meanings, double entendres are not always explicitly put into scripts. It is between the director and actor to find that interpretation. I've been on auditions where directors don't want to tell you anything because they want to see your interpretation. They want to see your range and figure it out.

However, it is good to know when directors wanted specific adjustments or have specific intentions/ideas in mind to communicate that to your actors. Actors are not psychic and neither are directors. If the production wants specific interpretation it should be communicated in a clear calm manner in real time, preferably in advance.

Remember, you both will ultimately be on the same side, and same page, if the goal is to create a great performance and production.

Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent


My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment