Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pragmatism vs single focus 6/17/15

Dear Artist,
 If you really want to be something, why don't you just be that?

Sincerely,
the other side.

ALSO

Dear artist,
did you know you don't have to starve as you pursue your craft?

Sincerely,
the other side.

When I was still an undergrad at NYU, I had interviewed one of my professors as part of a course requirement. I had asked him how he had survived as a musician.

He had mentioned that he did club dates on the weekend and taught during the week. He made enough money to do his jazz gigs which did not pay much. He had said he knew cats that spent 40 hour a week "temping" and had no time to do any music as in contrast to his way which was to play a few club dates on the weekend,  see people dance and have a good time and make the bread. That way he had the time to do what he wanted to do during the week and make his music.

A few years later I was auditioning for a club date agency when I ran across a well know jazz drummer I knew, who had a teaching studio in the same building the agency was holding auditions. He saw me and was surprised I was there. Then he invited me into his studio to talk to me. When I was there, he shut the door and started cursing me out to the effect of " what are you doing man? you are a jazz musician! I would rather dig ditches than play that &^#$@ on those club dates. " I responded to him with something along the lines of what my professor at NYU had given me.

He was silent for a second and replied to me. "If you want to do something and be something, why don't you just do it? If you want to be a jazz musician why do you just be that?"

Years later I still reflect on those 2 seemingly contrasting points of view.

The first is a pragmatic way of survival while still going for what you want.
The second is an all out approach, blinders on to what it is you really want in life.

Each person's situation is different in life an I am not in a position to tell what is the best for someone, provided they are not breaking the law or taking advantage of someone else.

In your career, in your life, what approach do you take? is it one end or the other? or a bit of both? For me, I have gone through all 3 approaches at different stages in my life and career.

The road to success is different for each of us as artists, actors, musicians. Some will say you should go all out, while they ignore the realities of survival. Others remain overly pragmatic and never reach the full heights and potential of their success.

Some that go full out and some that are pragmatic 'make it', while others 'won't make it.' Nothing in life is ever guaranteed, but that doesn't mean that you should not go for what it is you really want in life. We are more than what we do. We are more than what we own. We are not just our survival jobs. We are not just our 'successful' artistic career.

I will say that any success is helped by sustained focus over a long term, and those that see themselves as what they want to be and work toward it, tend to manifest that. What approach is best? Which ever one 'works' for you.

Be well,
Vincent

My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  people can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com


 

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment