Friday, June 5, 2015

Dear actor/agent, "Ask and shall receive before you ask, but think about what you are asking for" 6/5/15


I had recently set up casting sessions and a few hours before heading out to the castings I received several familiar messages, the last minute, last second cancellations, no shows and requests. Here were a few of my internal thoughts on two....
Dear agent or actor,

Please don't ask us the morning of your client's audition if we can see your client a few hours before castings actually start because something came up. If you are paying for the studio time and the transportation for the producers and casting director, we might consider it, although probably not because we are busy people and specifically booked certain times for a reason.

-ALSO-

Dear actor with a confirmed audition time,

Thanks for sending me a message last minute that you will arrive 15 minutes early... before any castings actually start... and if I can see you before castings even start, then great, if not, fine, because you have a prior engagement you cannot break... hmm? What?!

Sincerely,
 The other side

There is a saying "ask and ye shall receive." It can help to ask for a last minute schedule shift if something super urgent or critical happens, and who knows, maybe things would work out. But you may also want to think about what you are asking and if the request you are asking is unreasonable or unfair whether, you are represented by an agent/manager or not.

 As a producer, resources and time can be at a valuable premium... not to mention the logistics of getting a director, a producer and a casting director in the same room at the same time on the same day if applicable, which in this case it was.

Also, when we are seeing over 100 actors per day over multiple days or weeks, many productions I've worked with like to give them confirmed timeslots, so that we know who we will see, and also so we don't waste the actors' or our time by waiting around all day. Time is valuable. Time is life. Please don't waste yours and please don't waste ours. 

Having a great professional agent or team of agents can be very valuable. You don't necessarily need an agent, depending on where you are in your career and what you want to do, and many actors, who do have agents and managers, still self submit and hustle for jobs. However, some, among many, advantages of working with good agents are:

  • You have other eyes looking for opportunities for you to partake in

  • They may have relationships with other agents, production, managers and can potentially get someone to listen or read something or get you in front of that, you may not.

  • You have a buffer between you and productions that... may not be quite ready to work with you yet, or downright have terrible track records and reputations dealing with talent.

  • Some agents and agencies specialize in print, tv, theater, films, and their experience can be invaluable.

Take care and do your research in choosing what particular agent or agency you want to work with- some may more aggressive in representing you and some have particular strengths and expertise. If they list a roster or recent projects they've helped cast, you may get an idea of how they operate. Word of mouth and recommendations can help tremendously as well.
However, do remember that your agent and manager if applicable ideally work with you. Agents make a commission off your booked work an managers can take a percentage manager fee and/or whatever arrangements are stated in your contract with them.

 I was casting a production, looking for name talent, and skipped a few profiles because their headshots weren't quite what I was looking for and there were no notes left to the casting director, which in this specific instance, was the director and producer as well. On the second go around after I scanned over 3000 submissions, just out of curiosity I clicked on a few I had earmarked or caught my eye on the second pass and found that this or that actor had extensive experience and name recognition.

You the actor are ultimately the key individual in shaping your brand and name recognition. Help your agents and managers to promote you by being sure they know what to promote of you and discuss with them how you would like to be presented.


Break a leg and have a great pilot season.

Be well,
Vincent




My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  people can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

 Break a leg and have a great pilot season.


Be well,
Vincent

My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  people can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso

vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/
 

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment