Monday, June 29, 2015

Dear actor, be aware and beware of "occupational hazzards" 6/29/15

Dear actor,

Be aware and beware of "occupational hazards" and take measures to protect yourself and be smart about avoiding or extracting yourself from potentially rough situations.

Sincerely,
The other side.

As an actor with many female friends who are actors, models, dancers, musicians and bartenders, I have heard many stories of 'occupational hazards'

Not just drugs and alcohol, but to put it discreetly, unwanted advances. It also happens with men, though I seem to I hear and see stories of it seemingly more happening with my friends who are women. Be careful and aware of your surroundings and dealings.

Any harassment such as  intimidation, extortion, unethical agreements, inappropriate unsolicited photos of  male/female 'equipment', and unwanted advances have no place in a professionally run production or career.

As someone who studied martial arts (judo, jujutsu, aikido for years I was taught several concepts:

  • martial arts is a lifestyle and self defense is a life skill.

  • Self defense is not just about kicking and punching, if absolutely necessary to defend yourself from harm and escape it may be needed. Self defense is understanding that you and your loved ones have your personal borders, your standards, your space, your life that no one has the right to violate or interfere with those,  and you can take healthy measures to preserve and protect those.

  • Self defense can mean protecting your assets and intellectual property with legal means and business entities as needed or copyright and trademark forms (I am not a lawyer and cannot give out legal advice)

  • Self defense can mean being aware of your surroundings, your environment and your associates or potential associates.

  • Self defense can mean keeping your eyes open before you enter agreements or locations, as you enter agreements and locations and knowing if there are outlets to get out or escape agreements and locations.

  • Self defense can mean keeping yourself mentally, physically, fiscally, emotionally and spiritually fit, responsible, and prepared for whatever may come

  • self defense can mean being spatially aware of strangers and know that action is faster than reaction, keep a healthy distance as you ascertain intentions

  • self defense can mean knowing how to de-escalate arguments, and get yourself and others out of compromising situations before it is too late.


Studying a martial art can help you grow tremendously mentally and physically. However, I know from experience, a friend of mine who was a black belt was killed by an ex-con over a 'wrong place-wrong time' misunderstanding and dispute that escalated with my friend being murdered in the street and that con being put away for 25 years, that self defense is never a set thing.

There are always x factors now matter how much you know or have trained,  and one of the best ways to 'win a fight' is to not put yourself in bad positions in the first place and survive and protect yourself and your loved ones... not only from a life and death situation, but professionally as a musician, actor or business.

Be well,
Vincent


My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  people can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com

 

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved





No comments:

Post a Comment