Monday, July 20, 2015

"Numbers must have tags" Never assume I know how to reach you, and who you are and what you want. 7/20/15


Dear casting agent,

Thank you for contacting me via a certain messaging service, but if you want me to get in get back in contact with you, please remember to leave your contact information because there is no reply option or no way else on the site or service to get in contact with you via that certain messaging service... thanks!

Sincerely,
The Other Side

When I was in high school, my chemistry teacher always reminded us that "numbers must have tags" 35 by itself means nothing, but  $35 and 35 degrees Celsius have very different meanings.

Today we have caller ID, email, but you'd be surprised how many times your number won't be on the call history if you leave a message.

Never assume a casting director or, from the other side, an actor knows how to reach you and/or who you are.

I've seen it from both sides and am probably just as guilty as everyone of not remembering to do so. I've gotten voice messages from both actors and from production wanting information from me and not being specific about who they are and forgetting to leave their contact info. There are certain online services which don't allow you to reply to a message or the user may have forgotten to enable that option.

 John could be about 20 people I know. It could be anyone, John Rambo, John Doe, John Wilkes Boothe, and if you have a similar name to another actor or production member, googling it may not help getting found. Numbers must have tags, names must have numbers, contact and context of what you want and how you know me or how I know you.

Also, another tip from an actor friend is when an actor sends a requested photo, the actor should name each character photo with their name/phone number... You shouldn't  just name the photo "lawyer" (for example) if 10 pictures all get forwarded to the director, he may not have time to look up who this actor was. Adding your name to photos can help your chances of being called and ultimately booked.

If you do happen to find an email/contact number online with a number and want to take it on yourself to contact, remember: NEVER ASSUME IT IS THE PERSON WHO SENT YOU THE INITIAL MESSAGE.

Please be polite, get to the point and get out.

possible example

Hi (casting director),
 
 Mr. Actor responding to a message about X. You had asked me about ABCDE.  Response and details
 
. There was no contact reply listed, I am presuming this is your email contact. If this is not X for casting Y, my apologies and please disregard this email. Thanks.
 
Be well,
Mr. Actor
555-555-5555
your website
your email address


Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent




My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.


I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.


imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved





No comments:

Post a Comment