Thursday, May 14, 2015

"You don't build a reputation on what you are going to do. It's not really about what you start, it's about what you finish" 5/14/15

Dear writer, producer, director, actor, musician, crew member,

 You don't build a reputation on what you are going to do. It's not really about what you start, it's about what you finish.

Sincerely,
The other side

The past is already set. Your triumphs, your failures. Yes, like the statement in investing goes, past results do not guarantee future results... they can be a telling indicator though...

The future is not set. It's always in motion.

The present is the only time you have actual power to do anything. You are setting up success or failure by what you are doing today, in your thoughts, your habits, how you treat yourself and how you treat others. Focus on doing the task at hand with a vision of a future and being informed by the experience of the past, never stuck because of fears, regrets or guilt.

Why all this philosophical exposition?

Let's talk results.  Today is a #TBT (throw back Thursday) I am remembering specific times cast and crew... and production teams I'd worked with have flaked out on shows I've produced or been a part of help  producing.

 From using the same excuse on several productions to try to get out of showing up, even though there was a contract and they were getting paid... to not telling the producer that they were having trouble with files we'd sent for post production, though they were perfectly fine files and not addressing it for 2 weeks.... to unprofessionalism, tantrums and disruptions on set... problems with drugs and alcohol interfering with shooting, to straight up incompetence... I've seen... strange stuff from cast and crew... from all sides of the table. "People are people are people" a business mentor once used to tell me.

Yes, of course, people inherently have value and everyone deserves at least a second chance.  Yes, there is value of just attempting something. That's not what I am addressing. I am talking about your ability to follow through and your ability to manifest what you say you are going to manifest in the timeframe you want to manifest it in... taking control over that you have direct control over: what you think and do at all times. To do what you say you are going to do. To actually complete things in your life.

There are many factors (other people, weather, the market, murphy's law, etc.) you don' t have control over, but what you personally do and how you think are the two things you definitely do have control over. If something doesn't quite work, you find another way. You find another alternative, you go with another cast or crew member if needed or find a way to complete it and make it to the finish line. If there are no options, you make your own options... you find a way to make it work.

A mentor once said, "the secret of your success lies in your daily routine"

Success, like just about everything in life in never guaranteed. Not everyone gets a trophy, gets the degree, graduates, gets the prize or the contract...  even if you do put forth all you can, but especially if you don't put forth all you can.

We become what we think about. We think about what we talk about.... WE THINK ABOUT WHAT WE TALK ABOUT ALL DAY... we think about what we talk about to others, we think about what we talk about to ourselves... we think about what others talk to us about....

You have to think AND speak about your ideal future as if it already exists.... and more importantly, you must do the necessary actions to follow through and to get it done.

Break a leg.

Be well,
Vincent


My name is Vincent Veloso. I am a writer, producer, director, actor and musician and martial artist. I have worn many hats in my career, learned some things, still learning, but in this blog, I will be addressing my experience and insights making films and music... stories from casting to wrap party... the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly.... and the really ungood.

I never use real names, and many times I address my concerns on the day directly to people in real time. I point out my own missteps  just as much if not more because I have been that actor/writer/producer/director who has made the same gaffes just as much if not more. Hopefully as I address the circumstances,  others can gain valuable insight, through story and my experiences, it will give people help. It is not meant to be mean spirited, but like all subjective commentary and blogs, and many other existing advice and commentary articles, I understand that audience perception is subjective and do hope you know that I hope to help others.

imdb.me/vincentveloso
vimeo.com/ondemand/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/changelingstheseries
facebook.com/cenotaphtheseries
dearactorfromtheotherside.blogspot.com/

© 2015 Vincent Veloso, Xavmax Multimedia Productions L.L.C. All rights reserved





2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post. I actually have been changing because I have been a procrastinator and knew I needed to change. Thanks for putting it so clear. Really liked this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed the post and found it of some value. All the best

    ReplyDelete